Caipirinha The Brazilian Beverage That You Need For Your Staycation Carnival!
We might not be travelling further than our back garden this summer but this does not mean that we can't bring a bit of Brazilian Carnival into our own homes. Meet the Caipirinha (Sounds like "Kai - peer -rin-yah") often touted as the Brazilian Mojito, I actually think this little gem is possibly tastier and packs a little bit more flavour than the sweetness of rum.
Grab your From Belo bag and party like a Brazilian!
Made with cachaça (Sounds like Ka-Sha-Sah) which is often mistaken as a rum, although has quite a different and distinctive taste. This liquor is the drink enjoyed by many, especially around carnival time. So the perfect beverage to bring to a stay at home carnival party!
Carnaval street party in Brazil
How to Make the Perfect Caipirinha
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
Take your Ju Bucket bag for a stroll to the supermarket and buy:
- 200ml cachaça (You can find at most large supermarkets of liquor specialists)
- 6 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 limes, chopped into wedges, plus extra lime wedges to serve (optional)
- Crushed Ice
- In a large Jug crush the limes and the sugar together to make a syrup. To do this you can use the end of a rolling pin, or if you are a serious cocktail maker you can use a muddler.
- Discard the lime peel from the mix
- Place 50 ml of cachaça in four glasses and then a quarter of the syrup mix in each of the four glasses.
- Now top each glass with crushed ice and garnish with lime wedges.
- Enjoy your Caipirinha and remember to drink responsibly!
You don't have to make this tasty treat just with lime, you can have fun and swap the lime for passionfruit, orange, mango and many other fruits!
We hope you enjoy this refreshing, tasty Brazilian Beverage!
We would love to hear what you think especially if you have experimented with a few different flavours too!
Have a wonderful day :)
Char and Maria